Gennaro Tampone was born in Bari 1936, graduated in Civil Engineering and in Architecture.
Served as State Officer in the Genio Civile (Ministry of Public Works) of Florence from 1963 to 1996. Lecturer of Architectural Conservation in the Faculties of Architecture and of Humanistic of the Florence University. Leads researches on timber, stone and metal ancient architectures.
As a practitioner established in Florence, designed and supervised several conservation works, amongst them the conservation of the Middle Age Palazzo dei Vicari in Certaldo (Florence), strengthening and restoration of the XVII c. wooden Floor of the Sala di Carlo VIII in Palazzo Medici Riccardi in Florence, the strengthening of the wooden Cathedral (XIX c.) of Paramaribo, Suriname, South America, the temporary strengthening and safety measures of the wooden, early XX century, Italian Summer Embassy (a masterpiece of Liberty Architectural Style designed by the famous Italian Architect Raimondo D’Aronco) in Istanbul, Turkey etc.
Member of ICOMOS, Secretary General of the Scientific Wood International Committee of ICOMOS. President of the Collegio degli Ingegneri della Toscana (a cultural non profit Association between graduated Engineers) of Tuscany, Italy. Fellow of the Accademia delle Arti del Disegno (founded in the XVI c. by Michelangelo and Giorgio Vasari).
Scientific organizer of several Scientific Meetings on Conservation of Ancient Timber Structures.
Main research field: Ancient wood strucures, Wood conservation.